Lavon EDC Gateway to East Texas
214.934.7190

History of Lavon

Lavon was settled in the early 1850’s. It’s fertile Blackland Prairie and water from Bear Creek allowed the area to be ideal for farming. After his service in the American Revolutionary War, John Abston and his family settled in the area. John Abston’s military service included participation in the American Revolutionary War Battle of King’s Mountain. John Abston died in 1856 and is the first person to be buried in the Abston (Old Bellew) Cemetery. The Cemetery is now part of the Lake View Cemetery.

St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway laid tracks through the area in 1888. Thompson Switch was the early community settlement name from the first postmaster, Elbert C. Thompson. Later, the community name, Lavon, was adopted in honor of Thompson’s son Lavon “Bud” Thompson who also operated the post office.

The population of Lavon grew to 300 by the 1880’s and Lavon served as a center for commerce and agriculture. In 1946, following the years of the Great Depression, the Collin County Soil Conservation District was formed and planned construction of flood-retarding structures including Lake Lavon. In 1952-53 Lavon Lake was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. With the Lake came boaters, fishermen and visitors to Lavon. In 1980, the newly incorporated City of Lavon had one business and served 306 residents. Today, the City of Lavon is experiencing exciting new growth. Come join this vibrant community.  

 


Recent News

Nov 25th Small Business Bazaar-Vendor Registration is Open
September 27th 2017 - All small businesses in the area are welcome to participate... read more.


Groundbreaking for Retail Center
February 18th 2017 - Saturday, February 18, 2017 the Lavon Economic Development Corporation held a groundbreaking... read more.


Tuesday February 21st Business Card Exchange
February 15th 2017 - Be sure to plan and attend at 7:30 A.M. on... read more.

About Lavon Lavon EDC Site Selection Economic Profile Maps & Studies Small Business News
LAVON ECONOMIC
DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION

P.O. Box 340 | 120 School Road
Lavon, TX 75166
214.934.7190 | info@lavonedc.com